Top 5 hits of 2013

Gillian from Crafting a Rainbow is once again hosting the Top 5 lists of the year. Pop over to her blog to grab a badge and be a part of this great initiative. I’m not sure what I love more about this, the cause to reflect or the fabulous emblem! I’m pretty sure if that emblem came in a fabric, it would be in my stash already. In fact, it reminds me a little of one of my great wins this year. I’ll let you guess which one yourself. So in no particular order, here are my favourite creations for 2013 (I may have taken the liberty to add a few more than five)!

 
 
 
 


 There are so many reasons why this little swimsuit has made the list. It was the first time I’d ever sewn with lycra and my first ever swimsuit. It turned out so much better than I’d anticipated and the rapture with which it was received was wonderful. Miss nearly-Four still wears it on a nearly daily basis. The fabric is just divine and it has withstood the effects of chlorine and sunshine beautifully over the past few months. I have more beautiful swimsuit fabric in my stash that I would like to sew into some rash vests, tights, or swimsuits before the end of summer.


Now I actually have two dresses that I would like to place in this category. Ironically, my wearable muslin is my favourite of the two at the moment. It is just soooooooo comfortable and cool. But I am also pretty happy with how version two rolled out. I have been wearing the knit version at least twice a week and I am sure the second one will take over soon. I am especially proud of the silhouette and fit that I achieved with these dresses since I designed them both from scratch. I love the feeling that I am improving with each most new projects I take on. 

 


I made these pants at the start of Spring and was so pleasantly surprised with how they turned out. Although, given the fact that they were a Tessuti pattern, I should never have doubted the impeccable fit and design. Pants can be so very tricky to fit and feel comfortable in, but these pants are nothing short of amazing. And this is coming from a dress and skirt kind-a-gal. I am amazed at how many times I have worn them already this year. Once again, more Chloe pants are planned.

 
 Sometimes the quickest sews can also be the most satisfying. The pyjama dresses I’ve made for my girls this year are here, here, here, and here, all in the softest jersey (notably, one started out as a top). They have all been worn nightly and I can totally see why.
 
 This is the cutest little jumpsuit I’ve ever made. The Salme pattern itself is lovely, but the Liberty of London fabric I used makes it extra special. I love cute shorts and playsuits on my girls, but it is near impossible getting them out of dresses. So I was obviously very happy that Miss Five decided to love this playsuit. I see her in it often and it fits her perfectly. 
 
 Now I really, truly love this dress, and I have worn it more times than I can count so I do count it as a success. But….there were several quite major mistakes that were made with this dress. I’ve discussed some of them in the actual blog post, but more recently, I discovered another rather major blooper (that thankfully it isn’t too obvious). Now, I’m not quite sure where my head was at to make and miss such a mistake, but I managed to sew the collar inside out! With white linen, this is probably easy to understand as both sides look similar. However, I managed to arrange the INTERFACED side on the outside and as the collar is designed to stand up, all you see is facing, not linen. I only noticed this for the first time when hanging out my washing when on holidays, in the glaring Gold Coast sunshine. I noticed a little pilling on the collar and in confusion, I took a closer look (as linen doesn’t pill). And this was when I detected the problem. I am not entirely sure if I will re-do the collar or just live with it. I have also managed to tear the dress a little at some strain points in the back pleats, probably from resting my hands in my pockets, and possibly also from the sheer number of times this dress has been worn in the proximity of dress tugging toddlers. So whilst overall, this dress has been a massive hit, with all these ‘misses’ in the bodice, I may eventually convert this dress to a skirt.

 

This was one of those dresses that just came together so well. I used part of a dress pattern I had drafted months earlier and just winged the rest. I love how pretty it turned out. It is a favourite in my daughter’s wardrobe and I am also quietly proud of the fact that it got Nan Nan’s hard won tick of approval.
 
 I am so proud of my efforts with these pants. They turned out beautifully and I learnt so much along the way. This project has opened up so many new avenues for me now that I feel confident sewing with leather.
 
This is such a special dress to me because it was made possible due to my winnings in the Tessuti Awards (which, come to think of it, really should be in this list too!). It is the first ‘special’ dress I’ve made for myself. Most other dresses and tops I make are to suit my day to day job of running after children. For this dress, I chose my extra special fabric and I tried to turn it into a dress that was relatively simple by design, but in a style that had a timeless quality.
 
A major achievement for me this year was making the finals of the Tessuti Awards. Placing 3rd was a little unbelievable, but so very wonderful. This all happened around September this year, which was a little while before I started blogging. 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 


2 thoughts on “Top 5 hits of 2013

Comments are closed.