This is the fourth Elsa dress I’ve made this year and hopefully the last! Thankfully, it’s not for any of my daughters (I’m a little sick of the sight of Elsa dresses around here), but I do have to admit that this one does look super cute on my littlest peep.
Because I was making it for someone else’s child, I thought I’d have a go at making it look more authentic. But before I talk about the dress, let me just throw a figure at you. $60! Yes, that’s how much these babies sell for right now. Not the cute one with the blond hair that is. I’m talking about an Elsa dress… if you are lucky enough to find a distributer online that hasn’t sold out already! And here I am, making one for free. Well, to be perfectly honest, hubby sold my sewing services to a friend of his. I’m pretty sure he understands the value of time and sewing now (which is why I don’t sew as a business) but his solution was to offer to pay me the proper value of the dress so that he could give it to his mate. I’m still trying to figure out how that actually benefits me.
But back to the dress. It’s made of a horrid, shiny blue, ombre polyester satin, with a polyester organza cape, absolutely ghastly fabrics to sew with (not to mention wear) and virtually impossible to press the creases out of. However, the blue satin does make for the perfect Elsa sheath. I snapped up the last of the roll on sale at Jo Ann which cost me well under $20, let alone $60! I made the stinking hot polyester wearable by using a beautifully soft and light silk/model jersey for the sleeves and yoke. The white fabric will pill with washing but it is lovely to wear.
And if you ever wonder how or when I get my sewing done. I usually do it in the evening after I’ve put my three little peeps to bed. This is me the other morning, still in my PJ’s (proof that this wearable muslin came to good use after all), trying to do a quick repair job before hubby left for work. My days of sneaking in a peaceful stitch or two while the baby slept have long since departed.