My version is a mash up of two vintage patterns: McCall’s 6429 and Style 3304. I’ve used Style 3304 in the past (here and here), so I took the bottom half of this pattern and connected it with the top half of McCall’s 6429. The silk is Oscar de la Renta. I’m obviously partial to a bit of Oscar, since he features quite well in my stash. The top is fastened with two black glass buttons.
I also made a few other modifications:
- I shortened the crotch in the pants
- lengthened the bodice in the bodice portion
- lengthened the View B sleeves but kept them wide
- ditched the back seam and cut it on the fold instead (cheater broad back adjustment)
- adjusted the facing pieces to accommodate the back change
- I also added a thin waistband to create a casing for the elastic (but only because I didn’t lengthen the bodice enough in the first place!)
- Initially, I made the jumpsuit complete with the full collar you see on the pattern packet (instagram photo here) but it just didn’t look right when I tried it on. The look was too silk-pyjama-esque. I fixed this by unpicking the collar and leaving the facing intact. I toyed with creating a V-neck but I liked the little lapels better.
Anyway, to sum it up, I’m pretty happy with this make. It was a bit random and I’m not entirely sure how hubby will take it. I think I’m just going to have to book a date night and surprise him (or ply him with spirits if I have to). Because seriously, these pants are made for dancing!