Of course there had to be TWO: Kwik Sew 2724

This is my Supergirl!

Otherwise, it’s also basically a replication of a very recent post. The pattern is Kwik Sew 2724, gym leotards again, but in a smaller size for Miss Four. This time, I learnt from my past mistake and didn’t make the tall timber adjustment (that I would normally do for this child). I sewed her a straight size 5 in the leotards, and a straight size 4 in the bike shorts.

For a cheap and cheerful stitch up, the fitting is near enough to good enough for me, although I still feel it is a tad too long in the back (sway back adjustment required?). I could probably also narrow the hips and bum a fraction next time to get rid of some of that excess crack fabric.

 

 So for others planning to use this pattern, the sizing is definitely long in the body.

 

 

Don’t you love the way kids have that ‘special’ smile they reserve for use in front of the camera! I’m pretty sure she is trying to cross her eyes too.

 

But she does have some swagger!

 

The fabric I used was the most gorgeous swimsuit lycra from Tessuti. Unfortunately it was the last of my stash. I’d previously used it here. The slick metallic silver spandex was from MOOD.

 

Last tutu togs of the season, and thank goodness for that!

So the downside of having three girls is that many things must also be made in lots of three. Swimmers are of no exception. No doubt, you would have seen this pair I posted about a little while back. Well these are exactly the same.

Once again, I used Kwik Sew 1615. I like this pattern a lot. With a little length adjustment, they really do make lovely swimmers. And having now sewn this pattern three times in as many weeks, I feel like it’s given me a lot of practice sewing very stretchy fabrics. I’m really pleased with how tidy this pair is compared to the first pair I made. Looking back, they were super cute, but left a LOT of room for improvement in the sewing stakes.


I used a size 5 for Miss Four and added 1″ to the body length before making my tutu modifications. These togs are a perfect fit right now. I’m hoping they will get her through the summer at least. I probably could have gotten away with a size 6 for her, but it would have still needed lengthening in the body. These sizes really do run small.



The fabric I used was a beautiful floral swimsuit lycra from Tessuti. It’s not a traditional little girl print, but I love the vintage feel of it when paired with that sparkly pink tulle. And of course, it is virtually impossible to get a photo of anyone in this house without being bombed by Miss Two. Quicker than you can say “sparkly tulle”, she appeared from nowhere with her own hand-me-downs on. It’s hard to believe Miss Four was wearing those same togs less than a year ago!

And this wild and woolly wonder was not content until she’d had a solo photo taken too, just like her sister.

Enter swimsuit season!

My first swimsuit has been successfully completed. 

 


And I am super excited with the way it turned out. I love the way the tulle skirt worked (my little modification) and the fabric is amazing. But don’t look too closely at my stitching! Being my first attempt at swimsuit making, I had to play around with stitches a bit. I do have an overlocker but it isn’t a very high end one and I sew much more precisely on my beloved Pfaff. So after a lot of indecisiveness, I ended up sewing the suit using stretch stitches on my sewing machine. I did however, still serge the waist seam to cover the tulle inside thoroughly so it wouldn’t be scratchy. Just look at how many stitches I have to choose from on my Pfaff!


I played around with number 16 and 18 (hopefully you can just make them out in the picture), and then ended up using a plain old zig-zag stitch of varying widths towards the end. It doesn’t look too bad, but I am still not sure if I used the best stitches for a perfect result. My main issue was with achieving a smooth finish over the elastic binding at the neck, arms and legs. I was also worried that the suit would be uncomfortable if I didn’t get it right. The pattern didn’t provide much instruction on sewing techniques for swimsuit fabric apart from the absolute basics.
 


The only modification I made (apart from the tulle) was to lengthen the body of it by about 3cm. My little ballerina Harper is not quite four but she is super tall for her age. She actually reminds me of Bambi with those long legs. I compared the pattern size 4 pieces to a one-piece swimsuit she already had and thought that 3cm would be more than adequate, but clearly it isn’t. Everything else about the suit fits her beautifully. And she obviously finds it very comfortable on. (I double checked for red marks on her little body at bathtime but there were none) I still think I will lengthen it a fraction more in the torso next time, and also raise the front neckline a couple of inches too.



Note the ever present ballet slippers. It was 32degrees today, perfect weather for all day swimsuit wearing… apparently.

And of course no photo shoot is complete without the Annecy photobomb.








Part 1 of the swimsuit issue

I am not sure at all how this is going to go, but I am ready to sew my first swimsuit. I initially chose this lovely Anna and Boy lycra from The Fabric Store

 
 
But then I popped by Tessuti Fabrics today and snapped up this gorgeous remnant. I guess I will just have to make two little girls happy now!
 
 
 
I found it a little difficult to find exactly what I wanted when I was searching for little girl swimsuit patterns. I found the pattern on the left first but it only started at a size 8 so I will need to put it away for a few years. I eventually ended up finding a similar one in smaller sizes so will be using Kwik Sew 2422 this time round. I plan on making View B for Miss 3 in the pretty paisley and View C for Miss 5 in the lemons.