Two little Jalie 3136 leotards

These leotards are such a quick and easy make. I love the opportunity to use contrast fabric, and I’m very happy with the overall fit on my tall, slim girls. I’ve made a few pairs already (here and here) so I knew what to expect. For Miss Seven, I stuck with a size 6, the same as last time. They fit her very well through the torso. The leg elastic is borderline too tight, but I think she’ll be ok with it. That’s the only thing I’d say about this pattern, is check the fit of the leg elastic before sewing it on.

IMG_3827

IMG_3832

IMG_3830

IMG_3834

Miss Three LOVES gymnastics, more than anything else in this world right now. Three year olds really don’t need gymnastics leotards but I couldn’t resist making her one, just so I could watch her impossible cuteness in it. She wakes up everyday, puts on her leotard, and asks if its her ‘nastics day.

Her suit was made up in a size 3 and it’s a perfect fit all over. She is on the 50th centile from head to toe, the true “baby” of this family. Despite, LOVING this suit, and actually being a very happy child all day, she decided to practice her grumpy, angry person poses for the photos. I did my best, but there really isn’t any point negotiating with a three year old.

IMG_3818

IMG_3821

 

Last tutu togs of the season, and thank goodness for that!

So the downside of having three girls is that many things must also be made in lots of three. Swimmers are of no exception. No doubt, you would have seen this pair I posted about a little while back. Well these are exactly the same.

Once again, I used Kwik Sew 1615. I like this pattern a lot. With a little length adjustment, they really do make lovely swimmers. And having now sewn this pattern three times in as many weeks, I feel like it’s given me a lot of practice sewing very stretchy fabrics. I’m really pleased with how tidy this pair is compared to the first pair I made. Looking back, they were super cute, but left a LOT of room for improvement in the sewing stakes.


I used a size 5 for Miss Four and added 1″ to the body length before making my tutu modifications. These togs are a perfect fit right now. I’m hoping they will get her through the summer at least. I probably could have gotten away with a size 6 for her, but it would have still needed lengthening in the body. These sizes really do run small.



The fabric I used was a beautiful floral swimsuit lycra from Tessuti. It’s not a traditional little girl print, but I love the vintage feel of it when paired with that sparkly pink tulle. And of course, it is virtually impossible to get a photo of anyone in this house without being bombed by Miss Two. Quicker than you can say “sparkly tulle”, she appeared from nowhere with her own hand-me-downs on. It’s hard to believe Miss Four was wearing those same togs less than a year ago!

And this wild and woolly wonder was not content until she’d had a solo photo taken too, just like her sister.

Little leotards and bike shorts: Kwik Sew 2724

Having seen what leotard options were on offer at our local gymnasium, (and gasping in horror at the price and glare) I quickly steered the girls away, promising them a me-made version very soon. Personally, I think t-shirts and shorts are perfectly adequate gym wear for four and six year olds, but when everyone else is in shiny pink leopard print spandex, I felt a bit miserable sending the girls along in their grey cotton tights.

Luckily, I had a great remnant of floral swimsuit lycra in my stash. It was a remnant I purchased from Tessuti last summer. I paired it with a little big splash of metallic spandex from Mood and chose the simplest leotard/swimsuit pattern I could find, Kwik Sew 2724.

I’ve sewn a couple of Kwik Sew swimsuit patterns up now (here and here). Both times I found the body length of the design to be incredibly short. Knowing this, I started out with a size 7 and lengthened it in the body by 1″ before I started. The end result is a leotard that is quite clearly too big for my tall Miss Six. She’s not too fussed though. The width is ok and it seems comfortable enough on her without gaping immodestly. It just has a lot of unsightly wrinkles, particularly at the back. I probably should have just sewn a straight size 7, but I’m wondering if I should have also made a sway back adjustment and narrowed the bum width a little.

I also bungled the neckline a little. For some reason, I thought the back was the front when I was attaching the elastic, so the slightly warped starting point of attachment is smack bang in the centre front of the neckline. Really, I should have hidden that point under the shoulder seam anyway. I’m also not sure I love the look of that zig zag stitching, or maybe it is the metallic spandex that shows up every glaring mess you make.

I made the bike pants up in a straight size 6 with no adjustments. I ignored the elastic waist guide because it is easier and more precise to simply measure the child you want to fit! These bike pants are actually awesome. They fit her PERFECTLY and took a whole 15min to cut AND sew up. I might make them in some longer versions in winter.