After seeing Little Betty’s fabulous metallic Moss skirt in a recent post, I thought I might like to make one too. I remembered a pretty remnant from Tessuti Fabrics that I had in my stash that would be perfect for it, 1.1m of an Italian cotton drill speckled with the prettiest little white flowers. It was the perfect amount.
But as I was fitting my Moss skirt, I realised that I wanted it to sit higher on my waist, and not as low on the hips as it was intended. This meant that I ended up taking about 3.5cm off each side (reducing the pattern to less than the smallest size). Because of this significant change, the back waistband then ended up sitting higher on me than it should. You can see how high the back is when laying flat and I don’t quite have the booty to fill it.
Next time, I will reduce the yoke or back piece to fix this. I also added a ruffle to the bottom of my skirt because it just seemed right at the time!
I like this skirt, a lot actually. I am really pleased with how neatly the zipper and fly turned out. I love the ruffle and the length feels really modern to me. After a year or more of knee length skirts and dresses, I am noticing a shortening of the hemline in my wardrobe and quite liking it!