I was thinking of changing the name of my blog to Drop Waist and Co. But I’m going to call this dress a Fit and Flare instead. It’s probably a mere technicality, like calling pasta, ‘linguine’, but I’ll run with it. So, just to clarify before we start, this is NOT a drop waist dress. It is a fit and flare frock.
I ordered 3m of this gorgeous grey merino wool ponte from Tessuti Fabrics (the same used in my Winter Malvarosa) with the intention of making myself a dress and then using the remainder to furnish the wardrobes of my little girls with snuggly winter items. Obviously, something didn’t go to plan, because suddenly, here before me, I have another winter dress for moi! Oops.
Here it is. My somewhat modified version of Vogue 8805. If you are wondering what changes I made, here they are.
- added 6″ in length to the arms
- tapered the arms to be about 3″ narrower towards the hem
- slimmed the sides down to fit me closely, about 2″ off both side seams
- added two fish eye darts in the back
- added some flared cuffs (inspired by Nikki and her gorgeous LWD)
- added a front zipper
- shortened the middle panel by 1″ and added a pleated skirt to the bottom
The flared cuffs and pleated skirt were made using a navy wool twill remnant from Tessuti Fabrics. What do you think? Worthy of my new ‘practical’ shoes?