This post and pattern-to-come is dedicated to the orchid that was sacrificed during the taking of these photos.
I’m just so excited to introduce this sweet little dress to you all! The dress you see in the above photos is the pullover version, without any closures. It uses elastic in the back bodice to bring the fit in nicely. I’ve made my maxi version using gorgeous Japanese cotton and pink shirting from Tessuti Fabrics (seen here also). However, it’s also possible to make a shorter version of the skirt without the extra bottom panel.
I’m currently in the process of putting together a pattern and tutorial for these dresses. The first pattern will be released in a size 2-3 (that means, in my experience, it should fit two year olds AND three year olds AND the odd 18mth old if you make the short version – that’s more than two years of wear for the price of one!). There will be more sizes to come!
So would you like to see how this dress pattern came about? I put the design together about a year ago and made it for the first time in a pretty Ralph Lauren floral from Tessuti. Little Mooch (nicknamed by her big sister) was only 18 months old at the time. It was one of those magical times when a pattern comes together perfectly the first time round.
The fabric was leftover from a few other dresses I’d made earlier. And yes, there were days when Miss-middle-child orchestrated a family outing with us all in matching attire.
Towards the end of the year, I also made a slightly larger version for Miss nearly-Four. It has also become a much favoured dress for her. I love these dresses because they are super cute, but also super comfortable. They are not at all restrictive, can be layered with T-shirts in cooler weather, and above all, are very easy to make. My girls love them as much as I do (which is saying a lot in this household!). My middle Miss received hers last Christmas. You can read more about this one here.
The pattern itself is ready to go, I just have to work out how to add it (including a badge link) to my blog….and I just realised that I should do some line drawings of the pattern too (I will apologise for the quality of these in advance!) So stay tuned for more to come!