I’m not going to say much about these Esther shorts. I’ve made them before, here and here. A straight size 8 fits me perfectly with absolutely no modifications, apart from taking a little off the length. This time, I used up my leftover culottes fabric. I struggled a little in getting the grid lines on grain, but it’s near enough to keep me happy.
But let’s talk about this top. It’s made using a crisp white Italian shirting from Mood. And would you believe that this pattern actually started out as a Kanerva! I’ll be honest though. I basically just used the sleeveless bodice front and back pieces as a block, keeping the length and waist darts the same, but changing everything else about it.
- adjusted the shoulder slope and moved the seams in towards my neck significantly
- changed the width of the shoulder seams
- decreased the bust darts a little
- converted it to a v-neck
- changed the shape of the front and back armscye
- added a self-drafted hi-low peplum
- faced the neckline and armscye in one
- added a CF seam for the stitching details, and to enable me to face it properly
|CF stitching details. This also helps keep the facing sitting flat.|
But it’s my facing that you might be most interested in. Facing it all in one creates a beautifully clean finish on both the armscye and the neckline and eliminates the need to line the top or bind it. I always interface my facing and then understitch before turning it out the right way.
|Inside out from the front|
|Inside out from the back|
I’m super happy with this make. The top is easy-to-wear and perfect for slipping on in summer. I love the cool crispness of white cotton. And you already know how much I’m loving my Esthers this season. I can see myself getting some good wear out of this outfit in the coming months.