Cynthia Rowley vs Nani Iro

Oh Nani Iro! I have Novita to thank for drawing my attention to this amazing fabric. As soon as I saw this print, I just had to have it. It is a super soft, double gauze cotton that just cries out to be snuggled. I purchased mine online from Miss Matatabi, but I know Tessuti Fabrics have also recently stocked up on some unique prints.

The print I chose is just so beautiful and vibrant that only the simplest of styles was going to do. I used a Cynthia Rowley pattern, Simplicity 1366. I cut the top in a size 12 and made some pretty standard modifications (for me):

• 5/8″ broad back adjustment
  • added 1″ bodice length
  • added 1″ arm length

I actually think this top would look amazing in silk as the pattern suggests, but it works pretty well in soft cotton too. As I said before, I am absolutely smitten with this Nani Iro print. I’m also pretty impressed with the sleek design of the pattern. The length of the top is just perfect. It looks great worn out and it is long enough to tuck in without causing any bulk under my pants. In fact, I had so much trouble deciding which look I liked best that I had my twin help me out with the photos.

I always find it amusing to watch the response of my family when they see my new makes. My girls are predictable. They see bright colours or anything floor length and they gasp in awe. I don’t consider them a challenge, but I do hope that seeing my experiments will open their eyes to different styles and get them thinking.

My husband is way more interesting. He likes classic styles, clean lines, quality fabrics and shapes that flatter a female form. But he also has a weakness for the unconventional, which means he can surprise me at times with the clothes he likes or chooses. I know he finds some many of my makes a little unusual, particularly when I experiment with asymmetry, atypical hem shapes or boxy silhouettes.

Hubby loved this top immediately. He thought the fabric was unusual, but striking. The clean, simple lines of the top also met with his approval. However, he can’t say the same about the wool coat that I’ve recently finished. It may be the ultra wide sleeves or cocoon shape that is tripping him up. But I can pretty much guarantee he has been looking inside it and turning it over to see how I’ve made it. I love that he finds what I do interesting, even if he happily agrees that he is often baffled by my choice of shapes and styles.

26 thoughts on “Cynthia Rowley vs Nani Iro

1. sewmanju

Nani iro. I need some. Looks fab. Cocoon coat. Something else I have wanted for the last 2 summers. Love yours. Husbands can be amazingly supportive of our sewing (yours sounds like mine) but they know nothing of fashion. Not really. Fact 🙂

2. Debbie Iles

Tee hee hee, not sure the world is ready for another me. Funny how I always strike the same pose without realising it! I think I like the untucked look better too. It's more me in real life.

3. lisa g.

this fabric is just great! sigh… i may have to cave and buy some for a shift dress i've had in mind for ages. love it in this simple top, you just can't muddle that fabric with too many seams!

4. Janine

Congrats on making burda top 50 blogs! Good luck for the final round 🙂 . I would to try nano iro fabrics- must check out tessutis. What I have seen they are beautiful fabrics and I am definitely discovering a love for japanese fabrics. Hope you are loving and settling in to the USA now. Oh and I love your colourful top. I am very inspired lately to sew a bold bright top.

5. Debbie Iles

The skirt looks fun doesn't it! I was considering using it as a bit of a base for hacking for the leather skirt I did recently. Now I think I'm just going to have to wait until next year…trying to refrain from any more summer gear! But, I could….seriously Jillian…I really don't need any more ideas 😉

6. Debbie Iles

Thanks Janine! I've seen so many lovely Japanese fabrics. This Nani Iro is more rustic in feel than I've seen in a double gauze before – bit of a looser weave. I may not have purchased it in person, but it is one of those things that arrived unseen and I am thankful I did – the print truly is special.

7. sallie oleta barbee

Gorgeous colors!! I love Nani Iro so much! And a slouchy boxy top in that double gauze cotton sounds super dreamy.
    Isn't it funny what our dudes like and don't like?? My Nick generally is into asymmetric or cocoon-y shapes because he knows I like it – but mostly he prefers anything that's tight over my bum!! Ha!!

8. Kathleen V Crawford

Oh, I love that fabric in that style. I have been admiring that Nani Iro fabric since it appeared. I just ordered the magenta and blue version on Etsy and will probably use the same pattern you did. The magenta fabric has been sold-out most of the sites I looked on but I persevered and finally found it. Can't wait to get it from Japan.