I made a few mistakes when I was a beginner at sewing. I was sucked in by every pretty quilting cotton, which of course I was never going to use. I also snatched up Liberty of London remnants when I saw them. Why? Liberty looks cute on other bloggers, but have you ever seen me wear Liberty of London?
Another thing I used to do was buy completely inappropriate amounts of fabric for a project. I lived pretty close to my favourite bricks and mortar stores in Sydney, and yet I still harboured a morbid fear of winding up short on a make. Remember this dress? Now, please note the very small amount of lace I used for the back insets. Past-Debbie purchased a good 2.5m of that lace, just to make sure she had enough… The remnants had been in my stash since 2012.
It was nice to finally put this great fabric to good use. I used Simplicity 1366 with a few modifications.
- I extended the inside shoulder seams to create a closely fitted neckline. I worked out the gradient of the extended shoulder seam very scientifically. I put on an existing Simplicity 1366 top and eyeballed the shape and length of the new shoulder seam. I think I got it pretty spot on.
- I also added a high collar. This was super easy, since the lace had perfectly shaped rick rack panels.
- Because of the high collar, I added three buttons and a keyhole/slit back for back fastenings.
- I lengthened the sleeves and added jersey cuffs.
- I lengthened the body a smidgen and added a jersey cuff.
I love my new top. It’s a great addition to my Fall wardrobe and I love that it works equally well with jeans and trousers.