This great little sweater actually started out as one of Daddy’s big Ralph Lauren sweaters. There wasn’t much wrong with it in the first place, but he kept wearing holes in one of the elbows. I darned it a few times, but on the last occasion, it was either an elbow patch or a complete refashion.
I used Kwik Sew 1035 to make a sweater out of it for Miss Six. It was an incredibly quick and easy sew because I utilised the existing knit waistband and arm cuffs instead of sewing my own. I cut away the holey parts of the sleeves and added contrast bands of a different wool knit. I was even able to conserve the little Ralph Lauren Polo horse in cutting the front bodice, but only just!
The skirt she’s wearing is the bottom half of an Oliver + S Hide and Seek dress that I made a while back. The dress accidentally snuck into a hot wash with towels and the wool portions of the sleeves and bodice shrunk. All I did was to cut off the bodice and add an elastic encased waistband. The change turned it into a simple A-line skirt with fabulous side welt pockets. It’s actually become one of her all time favourite pieces (as you can probably see from the wash fade and wrinkles). I will purposefully make this modification of the pattern again in the future now.
This stash busting exercise was inspired by a fellow blogger. Check out this gorgeous little creation here on True Bias. The minute I saw the lace overlay on that jumper, I just knew I had to go out and get sewing for one of my daughters.
I had a little bit of white daisy lace in my stash that I purchased from Spotlight eons ago. I’ve used little bits of it over the years, but have always been frustrated at the lay of the pattern. The flowers don’t line up with the grain/stretch so making anything special with it was always out of the question.
I also had a little bit of leftover grey (ever so slightly stretchy) wool. I ALMOST had enough for this project. But unfortunately I didn’t have enough for a bottom band for the jumper. I couldn’t get away without a band since the sweater would have been too short. I actually contemplated going out to purchase some more similar grey fabric, but in the end, I rummaged around in my stash until I found a little length of grey merino suiting that I could turn into bottom ruffles. It was stash busting at it’s finest!
I used the Kwik Sew pattern below. All I did was quilt the lace overlay to the front section and shorten it to the casing line so I could add the bottom band (or ruffle) instead.
The size I chose for my daughter is just a smidgen too large, but I think it is perfect for layering. I will definitely use this pattern again, but with stretchier fabric next time! My wool didn’t have nearly enough stretch so the neckband is a little snug when squeezing a head through.
And here is my beautiful model in her fabulous new jumper! At least someone is happy with the cold and rainy days we have been having.